One-to-one music lessons are operated out of a purpose built, air conditioned studio in St Paul's Cray, Orpington. The studio has a waiting room for parents with free Wi-Fi, tea & coffee making facilities and a classroom for teaching. Children attend a weekly lesson in the after school hours during term time. Adults can book a bi-weekly course of 1 hour Saturday lessons or adhoc for a one-off session. Tuition for children and adults run alongside the academic year. I am closed during school holidays.
- Lessons are available in the after school hours 4pm - 7pm
- Lessons run in a series of 10 weekly lessons per term - Autumn, Spring & Summer.
- Lessons for adults can be booked adhoc during off peak times or booked as bi-weekly Saturday sessions.
- Students MUST have their own guitar or access to a piano with a minimum of 61 keys*.
- Students/Parents are responsible for insuring their own instruments against loss or damage.
- Parents are not obligated to wait and in the case of over 10's may drop off their children for lessons.
*I am happy to advise/assist with purchase of a suitable instrument.
STUDY AIDS - WHAT STUDENTS GET WhEN THEY SIGN UP
- A folder to keep all of your music in
- A practice book with teacher's notes
- A loyalty card for parents to keep track of how many lessons have been completed
- Your music books ordered in for you at a discounted rate
Learning an instrument is not an exact science and may come more easily to some than others. However, regular practice between lessons is advised in ALL cases to ensure progress. I am happy to give parents an honest appraisal of their child's suitability for a certain instrument. Please ask if you would like a written report at the end of the year for £2. I also undertake Duke of Edinburgh students.
Unfortunately, refunds are not available for non-attendance. Lessons are paid for in advance as a retainer fee; this means that your payment secures your place for the 10 week term whether you attend or not. If for any reason the teacher is unavailable to provide a scheduled lesson, that lesson will be carried forward to week 11. If a cancellation occurs I reserve the right to offer that session to another student.
Lesson Start Times
Please arrive 5 minutes before the start of your lesson to allow time to unpack and tune your instrument. However, if you are excessively early you may find the gate is locked.
N.B. Extra time cannot be made up at the end of the lesson if you are late as students are scheduled back-to-back. If you know you are running late, please send me a text message so I know to wait for you.
So that transitions between students run smoothly, please unpack/repack and tune your guitar in the waiting room. You may also leave coats/bags/instrument cases in the waiting room. This enables you to get the most out of your lesson and prevents another student waiting for the start of theirs.
There is plenty of free on-street parking.
A lot of parents like to make use of their wait time. Some walk their dogs in the park adjacent to the studio, others go to the shops (I am 2 minutes drive to Cotmandene Crescent and 5 minutes drive to Nugent Retail Park). Of course, you are also very welcome to sit on the sofa in the heated waiting room.
*WEEK 11 EXPLAINED
There are 10 teaching weeks per term plus week 11 which is used for lessons that are missed by the teacher for e.g Bank Holidays / illness.
THE BENEFITS OF A PRIVATE TUTOR
- Lessons are scheduled outside of school hours
- A range of instruments and subjects on offer.
- The parent can vet & choose the tutor.
- A working relationship can be built between parent/teacher/student.
- Attendance of all 10 lessons is under your control - not missed because of tests, at the discretion of the class teacher or because your child forgot to check the notice board.
I believe that music lessons should be available to ALL children and have pledged to always keep my rates affordable to parents by matching those of peripatetic teachers in schools.
A SERVICE YOU CAN TRUST
I teach on behalf of the council affiliated BYMT music trust and am a member of the Musician's Union with third party liability insurance. I have been teaching privately for 11 years. I currently teach PopStars singing clubs in Primary Schools and one-to-one lessons in secondary schools and as such have been thoroughly vetted with references & DBS checked. In addition to being a professional musician and teacher, I am also a mother of 4. I have an extensive background in education, including an intensive teacher training course with assistant teaching for a subsequent year on a school placement. Please read more in my bio.
- BYMT peripatetic teacher www.bymt.co.uk
- Disclosure & Disbarring Service (DBS) number 001442881725
- Registry of Guitar Tutors reg number GG2209
- Association of Teachers of Singing (AOTOS) member no MEM1131